Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ouch! The price of looking nice

I just got through waxing my eyebrows for the first time. I'm usually a plucker. I just had a box of wax lying around from an aborted back waxing plan (Scott's not mine LOL!) and thought I'd try it. Holy crap. Have you ever tried this? Not exactly a party.

So after the waxing (and the nose wiping and eye watering), I put on makeup and perfume as I do everyday. Then I wondered to myself, "why am I doing all this?". I'm a stay-at-home-mum, the only place I go during the day is to the school to pick up and drop off the kids and it's literally around the corner. I don't need lipstick and blush for that. But you know what? I do. That's the kind of hairpin I am, to quote James Cagney in The Strawberry Blonde. If I'm awake, I try to look nice. That's all there is to it. It's just that little extra effort that makes me feel special. And staying in my pyjamas all day doesn't exactly make me feel like I've been productive at the end of it. After all, I have a house to run. And for some reason it runs better when I've got my jewellry on. Deal with it.

kxx

1 comment:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love her hair! I would trade in a heart beat. (It's sexy too but she's far to young to be waving that flag just yet)

I have high maintenance thin icky hair. I have always wanted to have thick curly hair...or none.

If I had a face like you I would love to try rocking that hair style. You can pull it off Karen.
Man it would be so nice to not have to cut and color and round brush blow dry and all that assorted crap I must do to not even look 1/2 as good as you.

well now I'm depressed.