Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What's that smell? Why, it's my duty...

My democratic duty, that is. As a proud Canadian, I just exercised my right to vote. And I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, thank you very much.

Now let me stress that I'm in no way a political animal. My dad was a Liberal from the moment he set foot in Canada and everyone knew it. My political views just got handed down to me. And who'd be against a woman's right to choose, all people in love being allowed to marry and an open immigration policy? D'uh. Of course the Liberals have been accused of being very very naughty with very very large sums of money and many people are angry and are demanding change. Uh oh.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. As I said, I know very little about politics, I only know that I vote in every single federal and municipal election and I'm proud of that. Just ahead of me at the polling station today a man in his mid-30's needed help from the returning officer as he was voting for the very first time. I was proud of him, too. I tried to catch his eye as he was leaving to give him my patented "good going, big guy" smiles but he didn't see me. Maybe he was basking in his own afterglow. I hope so.

No no matter who you vote for (pleaseLiberalLiberalLiberalLiberalLiberalLiberal), just get out and vote. We live in an awesome country where women can legally walk around topless and my friend's nana can smoke dope for her arthritis so we've got to show the world that we care about keeping it that way. VOTE!

kxx

No comments: