Monday, February 6, 2006

I'm comin' out!

Okay. We've been friends for a while so I'm going to admit something to you. Something I usually keep to myself. Here goes. I'm a Star Trek fan. Not the original series but The Next Generation. A big Star Trek fan. So big, in fact, I can tell you that Geordi La Forge's VISOR is an acronym standing for Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement. Also that the name of the mining shuttle that Dirgo, Captain Picard and Wesley Crusher took in the episode Final Mission was the Nenebeck. My favourite episode? The Inner Light. Oh and (Chain Of Command II) the one where they show Captain Picard's bum. Hey, I'm still a girl.


I've been to conventions and I'll go again. I've met Marina Sirtis who played Deanna Troi (she's even shorter than me) and Michael Dorn who played Worf (really hot under all that makeup!). I went to Las Vegas last year and the highlight wasn't winning $100US at the roulette table, it was the Star Trek Experience interactive museum. Scott and I spent hours in there checking out uniforms and Klingon bat'leth swords. Seeing the bridge brought a tear to my eye and my photo with the Ferengi I met sits on the mantle with my family photos. I even ate a Quark's bar. I love Star Trek.


But what I will never ever do (and feel free to call me to the mat on this one) is dress up. You will never find me in a Starfleet uniform or wearing body makeup of any kind. Now don't get me wrong... there are things I will do. I own a Bajoran earring (the purple one) and I'll wear it proudly to any convention. I have a Star Trek watch that I wear everyday. I also have a couple of cute t-shirts. But that's it. As dorky and obsessive as I am about Star Trek, I still reserve the right to laugh at the people who dress up. I mean, come on. Full Star Trek regalia in public? Where people can see you? Going to Klingon language camps? You've got to be kidding. There was even the story about the woman who got booted off a jury for wearing her Starfleet "uniform" to court. Yikes.


I guess it's a little like being gay. There's a time and a place for seeing stuff like that. You're with your own group of gay/trekkie friends and you are loved and accepted. You wear your drag/uniform to the grocery store or church and you're bound to look like a loon. Face it.
Anyway, I'm out now and proud. Live long and prosper.


kxx

No comments: