Wednesday, March 8, 2006

I want my mummy

Scott and I are both sick. Have been for 3 days. I had a bad back on Monday and Scott has had the flu. I got a cold sometime yesterday. Thankfully it's not the flu (I've never had it). Needless to say, it still sucks.

Isn't it interesting what happens when both a mum and dad are sick? I'm a stay-at-home-mum and Scott is on french language training through his work for the government. Yesterday I was feeling pretty lousy and so was he. I got up at 6:30, got the kids ready for school, you know, fed them breakfast and got them dressed making sure they had their library books, homework done and their stuff for skating. Scott woke up at 7:45 and walked them to school.

Later I started the process of baking homemade rolls for dinner while Scott farted around in the garage. He picked the kids up from school and I made nachos for snack for 6 kids (my 3 plus the daycare kids I take care of). Then I helped them all with their homework and listened to Elliott practice on his insipid recorder. Scott was nowhere to be seen. I assume he was back in his sanctuary (the garage).

When the daycare kids left, I finished making dinner (assorted sandwiches with those rolls and veggies with dip... an easy one since, don't forget, I'm sick). Scott helped clean up the kitchen with me and we both watched Idol and fell asleep on the couch.

I wish I could be sick "old school". My mum would wait on me hand and foot. She'd bring me cold compresses for my forehead and rub Vicks on my chest. She put the black and white tv in my room and bring meals to my bed. Sweet! Now that I'm an adult and a mum the only change in my regular routine when I'm sick is that I'm doing my normal stuff with a raging headache and a pissy, resentful mood that I can't nap in the middle of the day. No fair. I guess I'll rest when I'm dead. Sniff.

kxx

No comments: