Monday, May 1, 2006

Henry's got a great Show & Tell today

Henry's in a special language learning programme at school as he's got a delay that was picked up quite early. It's an awesome programme with a one teacher to 10 child ratio, a speech pathologist that's there 3 days a week and a heavy focus on words, stories and labelling. Anyway, Henry has Show & Tell every Monday and the item has to be something that starts with the letter of the week. This week its "Y". Instead of just showing and telling he has to put it in what the teacher calls her "mystery bag" and has to describe it to the class while they guess what it is from the description. Sounds fun.

So we went through the things in the house he could bring like a toy school bus (it's yellow), the letter "Y" from his alphabet puzzle, or even an egg yolk in a plastic container but he said they were all boring. I lamented about not having the yo-yo from my youth. Then we started to laugh talking about things he couldn't bring like "yesterday", and "yak". Now here comes the clever part.

He says "I want to bring my yell". I'm all like "Huh? How are you going to do that?" He slyly opens the bag, brings it up to his face and screams inside the thing. I couldn't help but crack up. I ask him how he's going to describe it to his class. He replies "Um... it starts with "Y", it lives in my mouth and it's very loud". I laughed again and said that it was a very good idea and no one is going to think of that one. So it was decided. Henry brought his best yell to school this morning for Show & Tell. Man, I'd have loved to have been there for that one. Hee.

kxx

No comments: