Monday, July 17, 2006

Holy hot Batman!

Okay, I know I promised not to complain way back when it was -40C outside that it was too hot but as a woman I reserve the right. It's bloody hot out there. Last night I planned to jog this morning before Scott went to work but when the alarm clock went at 6:30 I questioned my sanity at even considering getting out of bed so early let alone jogging. So I came up with what I thought was the brilliant plan of going jogging with the kids while they rode their bikes. So misguided on so many levels.

I waited as the kids dressed and had breakfast then I had a peanut butter sandwich (for energy, you know). We finally set out at 9:30. I opened the door of my blissfully ignorant a/c'd home into a solid wall of heat and humidity. Uh Oh. It was already 28C. With a humidex of 38C. If I was on my own I'd have retreated back inside like there was an army Jehovah's Witnesses waving Watchtowers at me but the kids were serenading me, already helmetted and biked, with a chorus of "come on mum!" so there was no turning back.

I started out slow but they didn't. They were gone as soon as they hit the road. Thank goodness they told me we were going to the bike trail. After about 10 minutes I started to worry about them and thoroughly wore myself out calling out to them. Well, more like croaking "kids" every 5 or 6 steps. I finally found them after 20 minutes at the little bridge over the creek throwing rocks into the water. "What took you so long?" they asked innocently. Grrrr. Panting, wheezing and dissolving into a chocolate puddle, I couldn't even scold them. I could barely stand upright. I think I gasped something like "stay where I can see you" before they took off again. Next time (if there is a next time) I'm taking the walkie talkies.

Now, having run 20 minutes in heat advisory weather one way, I of course I have to get back. Dang. I limp and wheeze my tired brown butt back home trying to keep the kids in sight and failing miserably. Who said this would be a good idea? Tomorrow I'm staying in bed and watching trash tv.

kxx

No comments: