Thursday, July 27, 2006

I'm fed up

I'm sick to the back teeth of 80's music remakes. Especially in this day and age of quick, cheap downloads. Why on earth would I want to listen Jessica Simpson's version of You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) when I could hear Dead Or Alive's version free in 30 seconds if I download it from LimeWire? Or even hear it on tv. I saw an ad for some diet something the other day using the original. Come on. They are so much better than the new versions.

Here are a few that were big recently that never needed to be remade and only serve to make me throw up in my mouth a little when I hear them:

"Bizarre Love Triangle" not by the classic New Order but by some dance band
The previously mentioned "You Spin Me Round"
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Max Graham"
Never Surrender" by NOT Corey Hart
The entire "50 First Dates" Soundtrack (okay, I admit the 311 song is pretty good but only because it stays close to original)
"Tainted Love" not by the cool Soft Cell but by the scary Marilyn Manson...

Does no one have an original idea in their heads anymore? I know there are only 8 musical notes so there are bound to be one or two accidental overlaps but come on. Why remake whole songs that were monster hits back in the day? Why not use a b-side or an album track that was buried. A little nugget of joy that was forgotten through the mists of time? Where is your creativity, people? I'm looking at you Jessica. The straw that broke the camel's back. Restore my faith in music by coming up with your own ideas. Give me a reason to buy a cd. All these remakes do is remind me how good the music was back then and make me pull out my turntable and black plastic plates (that's what my kids call my records)... the little whippersnappers.

Anyone know a really good 80's song remake so I can eat my words? If you can find me one I can agree with that's better than the original, I'll go out and buy the cd. I'll actually pay cash money for new music and like it...

kxx

No comments: