Tuesday, August 1, 2006

I love the credits

I love going to the theatre and watching the movie until credits are over and the lights come up. I don't know why, it's just one of those things I do. I hate watching a movie with friends who force me to get up before they're done. Hey, I paid a day's wages for this movie and I'm staying until the very end, dammit. And starting with Ferris Bueller's Day Off way back in the 80s, some movies have been rewarding me with little snippets of something yummy at the very end. The 40 Year Old Virgin and the first Pirates Of The Caribbean had good ones too.

Watching movies with my kids presented a challenge. They can barely sit still during a feature let alone during the boring, inevitably long list of 5000 animators that follows the kind of movies they like. So how did I get them to sit through the credits? Ingenious on my part, I tell you. I have them find their own names in the blur. And since their names are pretty uncommon, frankly, they're not easily found. Sometimes they'll pay far closer attention to the credits then the actual movie. I love it.

Last week we rented a DVD for them. When it was over they ran up from the playroom yelling "We found 2 Elliotts, one Henry but no Audreys!" They hardly recalled anything about the movie itself. It gives me a warm glow to know it's possible to mould the children to my will. Next stop, world domination.

kxx

No comments: