Thursday, August 17, 2006

Just call me the "activity queen"

I just set up a playdate at the pool for me and the kids. We'll be there from 1-3pm and while our kids are splashing about, I'll be catching up with one of my oldest college friends Marianne. I'm actually doing activities with the kids 2, no, FOUR days in a row. Why four? Because tomorrow we're going to our friend Bill's cottage for the weekend.

Bill's cottage was the first one I ever went to. It became the gold standard of cottages. It has a flushing toilet, tv, vcr, microwave oven... the only thing to distinguish it from a suburban house is that it's right on a lake. So one Valentine's Day when my friend Daphne and her hubby invited Scott and me to her cottage, I jumped at the chance. When we got there I saw that it was a glorified tent in the woods. There was a gas oven (all the better to off yourself, I guess) and we had to switch it on and keep it open to warm the cabin before the wood burning stove kicked in. No electricity and worse yet, no running water. The kitchen sink was just for show with the taps only there to mock me. Every so often I'd twist them willing water to come out, thinking that the water fairy would make all my wet dreams come true. No such luck.

That was the longest weekend of my life and peeing in a rickety outhouse in the dead of winter was not my idea of the most romantic Valentine's Day ever. In fact it's second only to the time that Scott was in Europe for work that day and our hot water heater exploded sending scalding water all over the furnace/storage room. SO much fun. At least at the terror cottage we were together.

Anyway, I digress. The point I was trying to make was that we're doing lots of fun, outside things over the next little while. So next week I plan to do nothing. That's the plan, anyway.

kxx

No comments: