Monday, November 13, 2006

So great to meet you, Chris(topher)!

I met Chris online here on MySpace a few months ago and we got to meet in person over the weekend. I'm not sure how many of you have met an online friend but it's surreal. A bizarre mix of trust, luck and hope. You've got to trust that the person you're meeting is not an axe wielding kook. You've also got luck on your side when you finally realize that the person you're meeting isn't an axe-wielding kook and hope that they don't bring out the axe-wielding kook hidden deep inside you. It's all very psychological.

I've met online friends 3 times before. The first time was the most scary when I actually took a flight to Calgary to meet my gorgeous friend Lori. The second was a trip to Toronto to the Safari Park and the third was that long drive to camp in Delaware this summer. All these were women and all were from the same board where we first got together because we were pregnant and due in June 1998. Pretty safe, I'd say.

This weekend was different. MySpace is not known for it's quality inhabitants (present company excluded, of course). Anytime there's an online pedophile on the loose, chances are MySpace will be mentioned in the news. Chris contacted me because he saw from my profile that I loved the Smiths and so does he. We emailed often and he eventually became my first. IM buddy, people. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Anyway, it turned out that his wife would be here in town for business and the family would travel to Ottawa. I didn't hesitate for a second. We met at the cenotaph right after the Remembrance Day ceremony. Right in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier. It was perfect.
His wife was awesome and sweet, his son was one of the most adorable children next to mine that I have ever seen and Chris? Contagious smile, full of fun and life and thankfully, no axe in sight. But loads of CDs. Thanks, hon!

We went out for lunch then to the dinosaur museum. We had such a good time that we met again the next day. Sunday it was off for Beavertails and a walk around the market, ending with a toast to new friends with pints of Guinness. Couldn't have asked for better.

So Chris won't see this until he gets back from New York in a couple of days but I want him to know how much fun we all had meeting him and his family and we'd do it again anytime. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love the Internet. Isn't it great when one of your best computer friends isn't an axe-wielding kook?

kxx

No comments: