Friday, December 8, 2006

Things that make me happy

I'm off today!
Have I ever mentioned how much I love my job? It's the first time in my life that I felt comfortable saying the following sentence: "Morning boss, the kids have a PD Day on Friday so I won't be coming in." No panic, no night sweats, no fear of being fired. I love this job. And I as sit here with a batch of cookies in the oven after baking with my kids, I'm actually wondering what they're doing over there. I love this job.

So onto more bloggy things... On a board I love, we were talking about our favourite Christmas songs. As I read the lists of the other women I was surprised by the number who loved really traditional tunes. Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, some Steamroller band... I found it interesting. Not that I don't love that stuff myself, mind you. If I don't hear the Sinatra Christmas Album as we open presents on Christmas morning, I'm cancelling it. I promise. And Harry Belafonte singing "Mary's Boy Child"? Gorgeous.

But I want to push for the more modern stuff. I also want an all-Christmas-all-the-time radio station in my neck of the woods but again the CTRC is showing me no love. Anyway, I digress. Let's hear some more modern Christmas songs. It's okay to embrace them. I'm sure Dino will forgive us.

So here's a list of some of the "newer" ones I love. I've conveniently linked you to YouTube for videos of these tunes. How much do I love YouTube?

Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth by David Bowie and Bing Crosby
Do They Know It's Christmas by BandAid
Santa Baby by Madonna
All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey
The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood (not really a Xmas song but the video sure is)
2000 Miles by The Pretenders
Fairytale of New York by The Pogues
Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC

Have a great weekend, all!

kxx