Wednesday, January 17, 2007

10,000 steps

So I hear that to be healthy you need to take 10,000 steps a day. That roughly translates to about 5 miles of walking. I thought I'd see how far I'd get in a day. Just out of curiosity. You know, empirical data research. So I dug up the pedometer I bought for running, strapped it on then watched the magic. I had no idea how far I'd get since 10,000 steps seems like such a lofty goal but I had no idea I'd be so low. I checked right now, I find myself at 2777. How pathetic is that?

I knew it'd be low since I spend my whole work day on my rapidly spreading butt but that's barely a fraction of what I'm "supposed" to get. How am I supposed to ramp it up? I think that dropping the pedometer on the bathroom floor while going pee at work helped but that's not always going to be as satisfying as it was today. I also have to say that I got most of my steps before I even left the house for the day. They're not kidding when they call it "running after your kids". Getting the kids ready for school was the most exercise I got all day. I'm not done, though, I still have 6+ hours before I go to bed but there's no way I'll get up to the magic 10,000.

It's an interesting study, though. Tomorrow I'm going to the gym before work so that should do me quite well. I'll let you all know how many steps I get to. Also tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Karenworld. I'd love more than anything to tell you I have something special planned. Some special guest or cool event but as of right now it'll be just another run-of-the-mill blog about whatever the hell I want. And isn't that why you love me?

kxx