Friday, May 25, 2007

How are West Indians and motorcyclists alike?

It's no secret (I hope). We both acknowledge each other as we pass even though we don't know one another.

This is not a new thing. We've been doing it forever. It's neat, really. For instance, I was riding my bike yesterday and I caught eyes with a West Indian woman riding hers in the opposite direction and we smiled and nodded at each other. It's what we do. Correct me if I'm wrong but no other race/culture/whatever as far as I know does this. In fact, I try to look in the faces of everyone I pass in order to be cordial (do people still say that?) but only about 40% of people of all races look back, let alone smile. But West Indians? A solid 100%. Seriously. Not all blacks, mind you. Africans don't do it. Weird, eh? And to answer your question, no, we don't all look the same, we can tell where we're from just by looking.

Scott says it's like when a Canadian goes abroad and comes across another Canadian they glom onto each other even though they may be from Iqaluit and Kamloops. Frankly, I don't care why we do it but I'm glad we do. It makes me feel as if I'm a member of a little club. And I kind of am. Whities not invited. That stupid little sentence begs the question; where are all the mean names for Caucasions? Whities? Honkies? Crackers? Knowing what you can use for us, it doesn't seem quite fair does it?

kxx

No comments: