Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Logic vs. Knowing Where Your Stuff Is


I'm not the tidiest person in the world. I need the Flylady to tell me how to clean up and when. I'm organised, though. With my own mysterious system, supposedly. At least that's what Scott thinks. Here's the deal:


Last night Scott was looking for bus tickets. He came to the bedroom where I was reading to ask me if I had any. I reached out and grabbed a couple from the bedside table and handed them to him.


Scott: I just spent 1/2 hour looking for bus tickets and here you had them in the most illogical place I could think of.
Me: How could it be illogical if I know exactly where they are?


He contends that communal things like bus tickets should be in communal places. Dining room, living room, office... I maintain that if I know where things are, then what does it matter where I put them? I think he'd prefer not to ask me for things. I like keeping a bit of control and knowing where things are helps with that. I mean if you need a stamp and I keep the stamps in the cutlery drawer, I have the teensiest bit of control over the one who needs the thing and asks the heavens desperately where the hell they could be. Follow?


Added bonus is the conversation that follows: "What do you need the stamp for?"... "They're in there because the pens are in the junk drawer right next to the cutlery drawer and they go together"... "They do too! See if you can keep up. Pens, paper, envelopes, mailing things, STAMPS. See?"... "Because all the pens, pencils and junk in the junk drawer will wreck the stamps and the cutlery is in all these nice little slots so it's neater." Well, it makes sense to me. Call it "Karen Logic". And that's all that counts in the end.


kxx

No comments: