Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Love at first sight? Don’t believe the hype.

I don't believe in it. Don't get me wrong, I believe in love, and I believe that two people can fall in love very quickly... in a matter of hours, even, but at first sight? Without even speaking to each other? No way. Of course it's a romantic notion -- one that makes us all believe in magic but it's an illusion. Scott has told me many times that he fell in love with me the minute I walked into the bar. I think it's sweet and romantic but I don't believe him for a second. You can't just clap eyes on someone and instantly know you're going to marry them. It's asinine. I myself fell in love with Scott over the course of about 2 weeks. Much more realistic.

There has to be at least one conversation. You have to hear the sound of their voice. See the way they cut their food during dinner. The way they deal with inappropriate gas... I don't know. What I do know is that there's no way you could fall madly in love at first sight. Lust? Most definitely. Not love. I mean how many times have you gone off someone because they were wearing tragic shoes or made loud chewing sounds at dinner? If you were in love (at first sight or otherwise) that stupid stuff doesn't matter.

So grow up people. There is no "love at first sight". Now love-after-arduous-painstaking-periods-of-talking-meals-movies-and-a-prolonged-amount-of-hanging-out-phonecalls-and-maybe-a-little-sex... that I believe in. But it just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

kxx

No comments: