Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What the hell is Loving Day?


Have any of you heard of this before? Loving Day is on 12 June every year. It commemorates a ruling by the States allowing mixed marriages. In 1967. Nineteen sixty-seven, folks. That's the year I was born. Isn't that amazing? I'm so glad I'm Canadian. Of course I'm sure someone will open my eyes and say that Canada was just as bad or even worse but let me live in my bubble, will you? It just freaks me out that Scott and I could have gone to jail for 1 to 5 years just for being in love back then. Crazy. The day is named after Richard and Mildred Loving who went to court to fight for their life and their family. The fact that this happened in my lifetime is so humbling.

Well, Mildred died on Friday last week at 68. She and her husband were pioneers and paved the way for mixed couples in the States to just be. You can tell that they didn't bank on being heroes when they went into this but they were. And they did good.

kxx

No comments: