Friday, February 27, 2009

Nickname questions

So what nickname have you always wanted people to call you? Did they? What did you end up being called?

I've got a non-nicknameable name. Karen is pretty dry when it comes to nicknames. Nothing organically comes from Karen. But I do like Kazzer. I think I would have liked being called Kazzer. But I never was.

What I was called for a short time at CEGEP (Quebec version of college) was Antonious Rex. Ugh. There were 4 of us called the "Fearsome Foursettes" (the womenfolk of the Fearsome Foursome, d'uh) and I hated that nickname. But what can you do? You can't force these things. Except with Henry. I'll bet a lot of you didn't know his name is actually Henderson. We forced it by only calling him Henry and rarely, if ever using Henderson. See, it can be done.

So at 41 is it too late only answer to Kazzer?

kxx

2 comments:

BigSugar said...

Don't nicknames just sort of spontaneously spring out of nowhere? I suppose if you moved and had an entire circle of new friends and the topic came up you could say "Hi, my name is Karen but EVERYONE calls me Kazzer". It might work...

My nickname happened at work one day...my supervisor asked for a computer printout and he was trying to understand it, where to look for info and there were a bunch of us standing around...and he said out loud "what is this "clitta/cliota" thing over here?". Which, it turns out, was supposed to be a combo of my first and last name but he messed it up in pronouncing it. That was 1993 and to this day people still call me Clitta.

sami said...

when i was 8 years old i decided that my real name was too common (yes it's true, an 8 yr old with an identity crisis. roll eyes now.) so my fabulously supportive mom helped me come up with a not-so-common nickname, and at meet-the-teacher night before 4th grade i told my teacher to call me sami. she didn't know me so i guess it didn't make any difference to her what i wanted to be called. but strangely everyone else caught on immediately, and sami has been my "name" ever since (though a bagillion nick names have sprung to life from that... samboni, samilita, samuella and so on). to this day most people outside of my family don't even know that my real name is sara.

so hell yes i support you only answering to kazzer, if that's what you want! i don't really know you, so it will be easy for me :) why shouldn't we be called something that pleases us damn it!

that was a mouthful. sorry for the novel.