Monday, May 25, 2009

What a neighbourhood


Very often I'm thankful for living in Ottawa. Daily, as I wave to neighbours or force the kids next door to yell "CAR!" as I drive by and break up their road hockey game, I think I'm fortunate to live on this street. Thursday cemented these feelings for me.

May 9th was a busy Saturday for us. Elliott was being promoted in cadets, Audrey was singing in her school's annual talent showcase and I had to man the Ottawa River Canoe Club booth at the event. Scott took a video of Elliott's event and I took a video of Audrey's since we all couldn't go to both. Before the school event, there was a bike parade where the neighbourhood kids rode their bikes through streets closed by police. Henry went to that with Scott as I got the older kids ready.

Amazingly we got everything done and everyone breathed a sigh of relief at the end of that day. Fast forward to last Thursday. That's when we noticed that Henry's bike and helmet were gone. Tracing back we realized what happened. Henry left his bike in the rack at Audrey's school.Two weeks ago. Scott futilely went back to look for it just in case while I consoled a crying Henry by telling him that maybe now he could get the BMX trick bike he's been asking for.

Then we see him. Scott coming back wheeling Henry's bike and holding the helmet. It'd been in the rack the whole time. Unlocked. And although it's not a top-of-the-line bicycle, it's not crap either. I love this neighbourhood. I was delighted but Henry was strangely aloof.

Me: Hey, Henry! Why aren't you smiling? Daddy found your bike! Isn't that great?
Henry: I guess so. Does that mean I don't get the BMX?

Heh heh. Oops.

kxx

No comments: