Thursday, June 25, 2009

As of today I have 241 friends on Facebook


But if I was to count the friends I see on a monthly basis, the ones that I consider "girlfriends", that I go out for drinks with without an agenda, I count 4. And 2 of them aren't on even on Facebook. Interesting.

That's not to say that the people on Facebook aren't my "friends". Quite the contrary. They are people I went to high school and college with, made memories with or even known for years purely online and I consider them to be very close friends. But in a jam, in a squeeze or pinch, you have to go with the irl (in real life) friends, don't you?

If my car died in the middle of the night on the highway and Scott was out of town. As much as I'd love to call one of my Facebook homies (and I'd probably twitter it), they'd be of little or no help. But if I ordered something from eBay and the seller won't ship to Canada, you know I'm calling on one of my Facebook buds for a little assistance.

In your life you have different kinds of people who touch you in different ways. You may not need them every day (or ever) but it's nice to know they're out there just in case. It's never a bad thing to collect people around you who you can count on in different situations. No, I may not think of them every day, I may not know everything about their lives, heck, I may not have even met them before but they're out there like a little army defending me and watching my back.

kxx

No comments: