Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Audrey!


Well, today my Audrey turns 11. When she was first born I was pretty clueless as to what to do with a baby girl. Boys had always been my faves at daycare and I'd already had a boy in Elliott. I'm not ashamed to admit that throughout my pregnancy I was sure she was a boy and was totally okay with that. When the doctor exclaimed "Audrey's here!" I was poleaxed. What the hell was I supposed to do with a little girl? I was the one who pushed for palazzo pants on my wedding day for goodness sake.

At first I was one of those mothers who didn't want to influence her into girly things. She wore lots of red and dark purple and jeans until the day when she was about 8 months and someone asked if she was boy or girl. What!? My baby girl looked like a girl no matter what she wore didn't she? That was the beginning.

Then at about 5 she miraculously got a mind of her own. She wanted her room painted. Thankfully she didn't choose pink but lilac. She was in ballet lessons and part of the "uniform" was pink tights, slippers and a tutu. I was buckling. She was so darned purdy. Pointy little chin and impossible ringlets. How could I resist? I felt myself gravitating toward skirts and pink for myself. Today, next to orange, fuchsia is my favourite colour.

So happy birthday to my Diva. It took us a while to get to a place where we have anything in common but now that we're here, I'm having a ball. It's awesome to have another girl to hang with in the boy's club that has become my house. On movie night we've been known to shout down the boys at Blockbuster so we can get a family movie instead of yet another misogynistic James Bond flick.

Audrey thanks for making my life perfect. I love you, baby girl!

kxx


No comments: