Monday, June 15, 2009

Henry's medal

I forgot to mention last week that Henry participated in an Ottawa Carleton (that's our region) track & field meet. He had to first compete against his classmates in order to get there. He came in first in the 100m dash and was invited to the all-school meet.

Scott took the day off work and went to this event and watched as Henry came in 2nd in the first heat then took the bronze in the final heat. That means he came in 3rd overall against kids his age from over 10 schools. I was bursting with pride even though I couldn't be there. They called me from the meet with the news and I crowed about it to the whole office all afternoon.

You know what? I'm going to take the credit for this one. Besides birthing the child, I mean. I was a pretty good track & field athlete in my youth. I competed in the 100m dash, 4X100 relay, 400m hurdles, long jump, triple jump, high jump, shot put and discus. This was back when the earth was cooling and before I got boobs. Those things threw off my equilibrium something fierce. After they came in I could only do weight lifting and ping pong (seriously). Today I have dragonboat, of course. So I'm a relatively fit girl even though my heyday was 20 years ago. And when I was running I was fast. So my fleet little guy comes by that medal honestly. That's my boy!

kxx

No comments: