Friday, March 12, 2010

One habit of a highly ineffective person


When someone new comes over to your place, do you give them a tour of your house or just let them hang out with you?

My mother always gave people the tour so I'm always thrown when I don't get one. Then I realize that maybe it's just another one of those weird West Indian habits that "normal" people don't do like eating the kiwi skin, covering the furniture with plastic or never wearing shoes indoors.

The other day I went to a new neighbour's house. She was very kind and gracious (2 cups of tea and my favourite cookies) but she never showed me around. No problem, but because I grew up that way, do I show her around my place when I finally reciprocate? I'm so stressed about this. I just want to be a regular person but my West Indian crazy mask always seems to poke past my Karen face.

kxx

1 comment:

flask said...

i have trouble with that one, too, especially since i have recently acquired a new community of friends who are just now beginning to come to my house.

sometimes i get the feelign they want to see my living space, and sometimes i get the feeling they don't.

to ease the cultural difference, sometimes i have something handy upstairs or in the basement that they may wish to see, and that gives us an excuse to have the "house tour" without really having the house tour.

if i sense they don't want the tour at all, i can always excuse myself and go get the thing alone.

i thought of you today when i went to get my hair cut; i'm not as bald as you, but they do use clippers.