Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First day of school... once again.

This is the first day of school for my kids. Not only do I have to get them all off on time, but we have to rearrange our summer schedule which had previously involved a lot of relaxing and lazing around. As of today it's all alarm clocks and battle stations.

I actually forgot I had to work today and the baby arrived with my hands wrist deep in Audrey's hair. Already a scheduling issue. The good thing is that they all start school at around the same time so they all get up at 7:30. The bad thing is that they all go to different schools. A high school, a middle school and an elementary school. It'll be a military operation to try to get them off with everything they need and still keep my sanity in check. Plus the baby. Whew. Here's a partial list of the things they need on any given day:


  • flute/saxophone
  • homework 
  • library books
  • lunches
  • money for trips/special lunches
  • notes to teachers
  • permission forms
Then there are the hygiene issues that we go through on a daily basis. "Have you showered?", "Brushed your teeth?", "Are you wearing deodorant? You smell like ass", "You wore that (insert dirty/stained/smelly article of clothing here) yesterday. Go change", "Come here let me comb through that rat's nest"... am I the only one with filthy tweens? I can't wait for the day when I have to bang on the bathroom door because they're showering too long and I have to pee.


Anyway, all that said, I actually was sad that I had to send them off today. They've been my constant companions for months and now that they are older we all hang out together with a lot less "(s)mothering" involved. They are really nice kids and great buddies. Of course, fantastic mother that I am I completely forgot to take photos of them dressed for their first day this morning. But they all have their lunches, cheques combination locks and assorted school supplies, so it's all good. But, boy, the house is sure quiet.

So I thought it'd be fun to check out the first day of school post from previous years. Well, fun for me anyway. And apparently I was so self involved in the fall of 2009 that I didn't even mention their first day of school. Mother Of The Year Award? Yup, right here.

First day 2006
First day 2007
First day 2008

kxx

No comments: