Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Here you go Teresa!

The backhoe guy story...

There's been construction going on around my house all summer. Trucks, blasting, the whole nine. I go jogging every morning at 6:15 and I pass the site as a haul my carcass around. I see the same guys and the same trucks each day so as the polite Canadian girl I am, I greet them. It's just a "hi" or a smile and on Fridays it's a cheery "have a good weekend!".

On the first day of school I jogged as usual and said hi the the guys I've started to call "my boys". Dumptruck Boy, Foreman Boy and Stop/Yield Sign Boy are the ones that I see daily. When I took Audrey to the schoolbus, I saw Backhoe Boy for the second time that day and I waved again.

Yesterday after my run he drove by and actually stopped the backhoe in the road to talk to me. We've never exchanged words before. This is the way it went:

Me: Morning!
Backhoe Boy: Hey! Did you marry a white dude? **I'm serious... that's exactly what he said**
Me: Uh. Yes...
BB: Your daughter is really light but she looks just like you. And she's got your exact shape.
Me (not too sure how to take the shape comment): Er, thanks.
BB: She's got great hair, too.
Now cars are starting to back up behind him
Me: Thanks... it is pretty crazy.
BB: I hope she's proud of it. It'd be really sad if she was embarrassed by it.
Praying the truck would please for the love of God get moving
Me: She tells me it makes her feel special... oh look, cars!
BB: Oop, gotta go!

And off he rumbled.

I told the story to Audrey when I got home and we had a good laugh about it. When she got home from school she said that Backhoe Boy waved at her in the morning and she waved back. I love my neighbourhood.

kxx

4 comments:

Teresa Dawn said...

Lol! Too funny that he stopped you (and traffic!) to ask that. She's very pretty... starting to think you live in my neighbourhood LOL The construction here is horrible too! Apparently it's going to be around until the end of March!!! Every day there's a new street closed. I live about 5 minutes away from my parents (driving through school zones) and the other day it took me half an hour to get there... because every road was closed and I had to go down main roads past lights, way past their house and backtrack a ton. argh.

Karen Kaye said...

Isn't the construction awful? It's something to do with the Economic Action Plan and they have to do it by March or they get no Federal money to complete it. It's such a pain. Yesterday they "accidentally" shut off my water. Sigh.

Teresa Dawn said...

Yikes glad my water hasn't been shut off. Yeh they are probably doing the construction Nation wide right now haha. For about 3 weeks they were using water hammers pretty much under my house to flush out the sewers... every morning at 7am it sounded like there was a subway train running directly under me!!!

kyooty said...

That sounds mighty friendlier than here. Here the only people I end up finding approachable and friendly? are from out of town.