Wednesday, September 29, 2010

To treadmill or not to treadmill. That is the question.

That and: why the eff am I hauling my jiggling carcass around a dark, cold, rainy (and frankly, kinda scary) park at the crack of dawn? This morning when my alarm clock went off, I was having the best dream. Some delightfully profane stuff having to do with Billie Piper and David Tennant as well as the cast of Being Human. Wonderful, creative stuff that I'd really rather keep to myself, thankyouverymuch.

My alarm went and interrupted a particularly awesome exchange between a sexy time traveller and a sexy werewolf and I knew I had to get up. I must be an endorphin junkie because why else would I not go straight back to bed for an hour after I opened up the front door to a fine mist of cold rain? For the 3rd day in a row. It's like God is treating me like a disobedient dog. Then again, I'm not really getting the message, am I? I need my fix, people.

So back to the initial question: should I get a treadmill? At first I said that I'd never run in the rain or cold and this month I've done both. Monday I claimed that I'd never run in the snow but last night I signed up for a 5K that takes place in December. I realize it's beautiful running outside but that's providing you can actually see the beauty around you. At 6am, it's like running in space.

Here's a pro/con list for and against a treadmill:

Treadmill YES!

  • I can run any time of day for as long as I like
  • I won't get raped or pillaged or otherwise interfered with in the dark park
  • I won't get wet
  • I won't freeze
  • I can run and watch tv/read/blast my music
  • I won't have to worry about goose poop and worms (yes, I worry about goose poop and worms)
  • I can run in my shorts all year round
  • I want one!
Treadmill NO!
  • the park and sailing club are gorgeous
  • treadmills take up tons of room
  • they can be noisy
  • outside never breaks down or need servicing
  • I'll have to shop for running outerwear (I was debating if this was actually a pro or a con... Scott would be a better judge)
So the debate rages on. I managed to find a reasonable one through a friend on Facebook but it still puts a dent in my Christmas budget. Meanwhile the weather just keeps getting colder and wetter until the fateful day when God switches from the water bottle to something more... snowier.

kxx


1 comment:

kyooty said...

If you have the Treadmill you can mix it up, without the treadmill your only option is Rain and cold and sun.