Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Time to vote

There's an election for mayor, counsellors and trustees here at the end of the month. I pride myself on having voted in every election since I turned 18. I like to think if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain about how things are done. In fact, last year when the current mayor got into some legal difficulties, I gleefully giggled loudly and often saying, "I didn't vote for him!"

That being said, I can't say that I make the most informed choices. For federal elections I always vote Liberal (except for the time in college when I voted Green -- what was I smoking thinking?). That's a given. But for this election, there are no parties. Just guys whose platforms you agree with or don't. In the past I have done little to no research. I pretty much go for the guy I see most on the news. I've even shamefully voted for the handsomest candidate. A couple of times I actually went into the voting booth and ticked the box next to the only woman candidate or the one with the coolest/funniest name. Yeah, that's not good. Talk about wasting a vote.

This year I'm determined to do my research. I'm looking for their websites and reading the flyers that come to the door. I really want to finally do this right. I mean I've only been screwing this up for 25 years so I've really got my work cut out for me. So this year no voting for Atul Garg. Unless he's the best man for the job. Or is that woman?

kxx

No comments: