Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm a poet and I didn't even know it

This is the poetic equivalent of MadLibs. Makes me feel like a true wordsmith. Of course it comes from a template... do you think I'm this profound? You haven't been reading this blog for long, have you?

So my awesome poem first and the template so you can impress your friends at the bottom.

Where I'm From

I am from pop culture, from Perez Hilton and TMZ.
I am from the comfortable, the casual, the spicy.
I am from the summertime, the warm sunshine.
I am from grace before meals and brown eyes, from Errol and Mabel and Anthony.
I am from chupsing and finger whips.
From “Better belly bust than good food waste” and “Ma ka foote un blass”.
I am from church every Sunday and mass every single day of Easter week.
I'm from Montreal and Dominica, poutine and soursop ice cream.
From the rich man who loved his maid, the happy, drunken woman dancing on the table, and the illegal alien.
I am from the third drawer in a dresser at the bottom of the stairs, the hard drive, my brain.
Unbelievably, incredibly special.
A magical time machine that will always be close to my heart.

******************************

"Where I'm From" Template


I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.
I am from the _______ (home description... adjective, adjective, sensory detail).
I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)
I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family
member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).
I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).
From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).
I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.
I'm from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing
your family).
From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______
(another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).
I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines
indicating their worth).

kxx
(PS: If you try this, post your poem in the comments box. I'd love to see what you come up with!)

No comments: