Monday, November 22, 2010

Love Me Do

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that the Beatles catalogue was released on iTunes last week. I don't really see what the big deal is. If you like the Beatles then you already found some way to get them on your iPod. Either for free or with one of those turntable to mp3 dealies that even I own.

I never was a huge Beatles fan. Don't get me wrong, I liked them but I was never a rabid fan. I was too young. In fact, when John Lennon died, my first thought was "Who?". I admit it. I was 13 and I'd heard of the Beatles but I couldn't name the members to save my life. Later I went through a phase when I thought they were cool and retro and even bought some albums (Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road and Help) but I never understood the screeching or face-pulling until my Duran Duran lunacy of the mid-80s.

Anyway, last week I was looking for a Beatles song to put on my iPod. Hey, it's a well known fact that there is no bandwagon or trend that I can let pass me by. Anyway, I was looking for something new to run to. I like fast, bouncy, jaunty (oooh, I like that word) songs to run to... they give me energy. After pleading for help on Facebook and twitter, I finally settled on I Saw Her Standing There. I love the guitar in that one and it reminds me of my college ski trip in 1985. I was on the ski lift at Owl's Head with my friend Marianne laughing at the people falling below. Little did we now that we'd be joining them buried neck deep in snow all afternoon and freezing. The best thing about that trip was warming up in the chalet. As I recall, the apres-ski involved copious amounts of alcohol and ear-meltingly loud music. And funnily enough, I never went skiing again. Good times.

So do you have any Beatles stories or memories?

kxx (wow, even Ringo is handsome here...)

1 comment:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I couldn't pick just one. But like you like a "jaunty" tune when working out.
I saw them first on Ed Sullivan. I'm an old coot. I was only 8 but I remember. I was hooked from then on.
Duran, Duran, not so much. :-)