Thursday, January 20, 2011

Audrey's sick today

I had to call the school's special "absent line" to let them know. If you don't call by the time they take the roll, you get a scary call from the office saying that your child isn't there. I remember once getting a call on my cell on the way to Montreal with the family because I forgot. Oops.

Anyway, I called and left a rambling message in my best telephone voice on the middle school's voicemail. I used her full name and mine along with her homeroom number and teacher. Whew! In the old days of our tiny neighbourhood elementary school we knew all the teachers, staff and principal. Once Audrey got sick at school when I couldn't collect her and the janitor walked her home. Our cat Taz ran into the school one day and everyone knew he was Audrey's and got her to chase him out.

When it came to making a sick call back then, there was an actual person on the other end and the conversation went more like this:

Judy: .... Elementary School, Judy speaking.
Me: Hey Judy, it's Karen. Audrey's not feeling too good so I'm going to keep her home.
Judy: Sorry to hear that! Is it the flu?
Me: Naw, just a sniffle. I'm sure she'll be fine. Anything interesting happening today?
Judy: Just the usual. Jane (the principal) has an assembly to talk to the kids about keeping the yard litter free.
Me: Sounds fascinating
Judy: Yawn!
(we both break up laughing)
Judy: Well, take care of Audrey.
Me: I will. Have a great day.
Judy: You too. Bye!
Me: Bye!

I miss my little school.

kxx

No comments: