Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Can something be too chocolatey?

I'm a woman. Hang on a sec, let me check for sure.................... yup, all chick. But I have to admit that I'm not crazy about chocolate. Don't get me wrong, I like it but if my doctor told me that for some obscure medical reason I couldn't ever eat chocolate again, I'd shrug my shoulders and grab another nacho out of my comically super-sized bag. I prefer savoury treats.



I'm a baker. I often make chocolate chip cookies if the family has been begging for them but I don't want to indulge. I'll try one, sometimes only having one bite of one cookie before passing it on to the drooling goofball beside me, But if I make a batch of sugar cookies or vanilla cupcakes, I turn into the drooling goofball threatening to bite the fingers off anyone whose fingers come close to me when I'm eating.



I usually find chocolate desserts to be a cop-out. If you go to a restaurant and order the "Death By Chocolate Tsumai Devastation" dessert, I always feel like the baker just made a cake and threw in the chocolate because it's easy to hide dry batter or poor flavour. The more times you use the word "chocolate" and add some kind of disaster or tragedy to the name, the easier it is the gloss over the fact that you don't really have any baking skills. It's just a chocolate Duncan Hines cake with chocolate frosting and hot fudge glopped on top. Try making your own lemon curd one day. Or batch of cinnamon rolls. That takes skill. I felt like Sue Sylvester, there...



Anyway, I don't know if you heard but there was a little royal wedding last week. I found out that the bride's cake was fruit (no haters... fruit cake rocks) and the groom's was a "chocolate biscuit cake" I was fascinated and I had all the ingredients at had so I thought I'd give it a shot. Oh my God. It was waaay too chocolatey. I took one bite and my pupils contracted into pinpricks. I didn't even want to eat the bite I took. Ugh. Who knew the future king had a girlishly large chocolate tooth? I mean menstrually large. The family liked it but I'll never make it again.



So do you like chocolate? What's your favourite dessert? Mine is Ruffles and onion dip. I'm curious to see how many people would prefer a trifle or a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream to a slice of chocolate cheesecake.

*** Flipping through the channels and landing on your favourite scene of a movie just in time = AWESOME! ***

kxx

3 comments:

Leddy Landers said...

How refreshing to hear of another woman who is not craving and mad for chocolate! I much prefer a great creme brulee or a white cake with white icing. Even in candy, chocolate is my last choice. This is a delightful writing.

Jade said...

I wish I could say that I wasn't fussed, but really I'm a choc-o-holic, I could have eated a slice of that wedding cake - definitely the chocoalte over the fruit for me.

I don't like ice cream though which is a common love for women. I just find it cold and not as stongly flavoured as I'd like.

I love the way you put positive comments at the end of each blog post, I do a weekly link up on a Friday called Happiness Is... which is all about looking at the small happy parts of the week, it makes me focus more on the positive.

Have a lovely day,
Jade

April said...

I LOVE chocolate, but it really depends on what mood I am in. I really like strawberry desserts too.