Monday, June 20, 2011

Wanna freak out?

Here are some seemingly unrelated occurrences from today:

  • Three notable songs came up on my iTouch while it was merrily on shuffle. They were Celebration by Kool and The Gang, Mama by the Spice Girls and One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey
  • When I got dressed I grabbed an ancient tank top that I made for home ec in 1983
  • I put on my pretty pearl stud earrings
  • I had a mad craving for grapefruit juice which I bought while I was grocery shopping.

I came home and pulled out the juice and poured myself a glass even before I put away any of the groceries. Then another. Scott had come into the room and poured himself a glass. Mid-third glass I said too him "I had an awful craving for grapefruit juice today. You know I never buy it. Weird because it was..."

And it finally hits me. "It was my mother's favourite juice."

Today is the 16th anniversary of my mother's death. I had totally forgotten but she had been sending me messages all day.
  • Celebration was her all-time favourite song. Mama is about not appreciating your mother until you grow up and One Sweet Day is about saying what you need to to that special person before it's too late.
  • The ancient tank was made from material my mother salvaged from the skirt of an old 60s dress in the back of her closet.
  • The pearl earrings were the last gift my brother and I ever gave her. 
Isn't that cool? I'm not usually a person who is terribly in tune with the universe or signs or spirit world quackery but when your mother demands attention from the afterlife by grabbing your collars and shaking you can't help but take notice. Message received.

Miss you mum! I love you and I always will.

kxx

No comments: