Friday, August 5, 2011

The most amazing thing I ever saw

Elliott asked me this afternoon what the most amazing thing I ever saw was. What a hard question! I hemmed and hawed a bit and then he jumped in.

"My birth?"

HA! Um, no. Frankly I didn't see much of that. The labour was so long and I was so drugged up I really couldn't care less. And I had a c-section so there was a sheet up over the important bits and I was at the wrong end of the action anyway. So no.

I thought and thought. I'd seen the Northern Lights once. I saw a comet like a rock on fire a few years ago. That was super cool. I thought about my feeling at the finish line of every dragonboat race I'd ever had. All those things were really neat but if you think about it, amazing is such a weighty word.

Scott was leaving for hockey just then. He kissed me goodbye, hugged Elliott and went to shake his hand. Suddenly they started doing that thing that guys do, each trying to crush the other's hand. They were laughing so loudly and honestly and when Elliott was finally lying on the floor laughing and groaning in joy and pain, looking up at Scott with such love in his eyes, I knew.

AMAZING.

kxx

No comments: