Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Okay!

After yesterday's unfortunate overshare, I thought I'd try for something less um... uriny? Is that a thing? Well, it is now.

It's about a movie I love. It's not my favourite, it's not the best and it's certainly not famous. It's Now, Voyager starring Bette Davis. It's pretty formulaic and there are plot points that wouldn't happen nowadays. For instance the main character, unbeknownst to his wife, practically hands his daughter over to his secret lover Bette Davis to take care of so that they can be together in even some small way.

What is it about this movie? I've seen it about 10 times and I cry buckets each and every time. I once counted my goopy kleenexes after it was over and my all-time high was 11. I'm talking a total breakdown complete with sobbing and wailing. I do know what it is. It's the sacrifice that everyone makes for everyone else. It's almost too much to bear. And Bette Davis' character? She's a full-on saint. Except for the falling in love with a married man thing.

I got a lot out of that movie. I first saw it in the 80s. I smoked back then and often lit other peoples' cigarettes for them the way Paul Henreid did.


I thought Bette Davis' hair was short in the back so I cut and styled my hair to look just like it does after her makeover. It was the 80s and trust me, that was a cool hairstyle. Who knew it was all pinned up and not shaved back there? You see what you want to see.


I even owned a couple of finches and named them Camille and Jerry after the main characters. I could NOT get enough of this movie.



I haven't watched it in years and I'm actually a bit afraid to. What if it's silly or it just plain sucks? My memory isn't what it used to be and I just may be romanticizing how wonderful it is. After all, it's not a classic for a reason, right?

If any of you have seen it in recent years, please post and let me know if I should re-watch it. I own the dvd but I still haven't played it. Tell me if it's still worth my swooning over Paul Henreid's blatant disregard of the surgeon general's warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehYrqpwJelY

Hmph. I was trying to embed the trailer and blogger won't let me. But click in the link above and it'll be right there...

kxx

No comments: