Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do I have to be Muslim to issue a fatwa?

Because if not, someone at OC Transpo is in all kinds of trouble.

I've been thrust into the world of public transit due to this new job. Fine. No matter that I had to be up at 5:45 in order to run before work. Explaining why I run before work and not after a part time job that has me home by 2pm is another blog.

So my first day (Tuesday) went like this:

5:45- alarm goes off
5:55- tear myself out of bed, dress for the run, pound a glass of water and stumble outside
6am- haul my carcass for 5k then cool down by walking around the park. Look, a heron!
7am- shower, dress, put my face on, have breakfast, pack my lunch, head out the door for the bus.
7:40- catch the 152, transferring once to the 85, listening to a podcast along the way
8:20- arrive at work stress free. Wonderful way to start the day.

Wednesday went like this:

5:45- alarm goes off
5:55- tear myself out of bed, dress for the run, pound a glass of water and stumble outside
6am- haul my carcass 5k then cool down by walking around the park. Look, a heron (I think it was the same one as yesterday)
7am- shower, dress, put on my face, have breakfast, pack my lunch, head out the door for the bus.

Here's where things go horribly, horribly awry. Instead of taking the first transfer, I decided to walk. I thought (first mistake... stop thinking, stupid brain) that I could take a nice walk and reduce my buses by half. I got to the transfer point in plenty of time. In fact I arrived at roughly the same time that yesterday's bus did. I guess that was a big "roughly" because I waited and waited and waited. Watching bus after bus that isn't yours going by has to be the worst feeling in the world. When mine finally came it meandered down the road, picking barely ambulatory people up at every stop. If I never hear the beep beep of the "kneeling bus" again, it'll be too soon.

8:30 (the time I start work)- I'm officially freaking out. I stop my Nerdist podcast and I'm having an embolism trying to Scanners everyone waiting for the bus along the route. If there were headless bodies just lying at the stops he wouldn't have to pick them up anymore, am I right?
8:37 (7 minutes late)- futilely texting my boss telling her that I'm late (no d'uh) and that I'm beyond sorry and embarrassed. After all, it's only my second flipping day at this job.
8:42 (12 minutes late)- finally arrive at work. I'm fuming, stressed out and have a headache starting behind my eyes. Wonderful way to start the day.

Today went better. Unfortunately I was so scared I'd be late again that I set the clock for 5:30 (help me, Baby Jesus... I've gone from a summer of sleeping in until 9 to a blaring alarm clock at the ass-crack of dawn). So yes, I got there on time today (in fact 20 minutes early *eyeroll*) but at what cost? It's 3:30 and I'm just about ready for bed. And I have dragonboat in 3 hours. Sigh.

kxx

No comments: