Saturday, January 28, 2012

I haven't abandoned you, I just haven't had anything good to say!

I have found in the past when I forced myself to blog when I had nothing fascinating to say, my posts contained a lot of, well complete and utter crap. Lots of "ummms" and "so...". As loyal readers, I know you expect more from me so I've scaled back to only posting when I have something juicy. Or when a week goes by without posting like just now. So...

The Oscar nominations have come out. For reasons that I haven't shared with you, I'm not feeling them this year. I uncharacteristically haven't gone to see many movies this year so even popular stuff I didn't get around to seeing. I think the last movie I saw in the theatre was Harry Potter and that was back in the summer.

This means I have 9 movies to watch between now and the Oscar telecast in 29 days. If you think this'll be easy, let me remind you that I've got a job, 3 kids in sports and other after school activities, a husband with a full time job who also plays hockey and will be away for a week starting tomorrow, and a lukewarm desire to do this in the first place.

I have to say that thankfully nearly half of the movies are on dvd so I can see them on demand from the comfort of my living room at any point of the day which helps. But that still leaves 5 usually 3 hour "epics" that usually leave me depressed and needing a Monty Python palate cleanser. Remind me why I do this again? When are they going to nominate the kinds of movies I love like Bridesmaids or Transformers? Why do I have to learn something or grow from a "good" movie? Shouldn't I be having fun for my $13 ticket and $25 spent at the concession stand? Remind me why I'm doing this again?

In case you missed them, here are the nominations in order of my desire to see them:

The Help (This is the only one I wanted to see before the noms came out)
The Artist (Looks interesting... 2D, no talking, black & white? What's not to like?)
Moneyball (I think this'll make me laugh. Love Jonah Hill)
The Descendants (George Clooney is awesome)
Hugo (The trailer makes it look interesting but I have my doubts)
War Horse (A horse movie? I haven't been a 12 year old girl in a loooong time)
Midnight in Paris (Never been a Woody Allen fan)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (A 9/11 movie. Sigh. It'll be poignant and force me to cry. Ugh.)
The Tree of Life (Never heard of it)

kxx

No comments: