Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I love hearing about baby names

I think I freaked out one of my co-workers when I pretty much got in her face and demanded to know why she named her daughter Elliott (sorry about that Jill LOL!)

But I love to hear about things like that. I'm interested to hear about people's motivations for choosing the handle they decide to lumber their child with for the rest of their lives.

I think I've mentioned my reasons for my own children but I'll quickly recap:

Elliott William:
Named for a car dealership licence plate and my mother's maiden name. If he had been a girl, he would have been Madeleine Elizabeth after the children's storybook and Scott's mother's middle name.



Audrey Margaret:
Named for Scott's 2 aunts. If she had been a boy, she'd be named Peter (middle name forgotten). Interesting note: two-year old Elliott, when asked to name his baby sibling, chose the name of his favourite movie hero at the time... Mulan.



Henderson Michael:
Named for Scott's father's middle name and my brother's name. Had he been a girl, he'd have been Clara Elizabeth.

As for me, my parents were recyclers. If I had been a boy, I'd have been given my brother's name. Also, Tara was another choice for me. I never fail to tell that less than fascinating fact to every Tara I meet.



So anyway, if you have an interesting story about your name or your children's names or anything about names at all, post it in the comments. As I said above, I love this stuff.

kxx

3 comments:

flask said...

my mother's name is virginia mary grace.

true.

i call myself flask and my sister calls herself spike. it says so on her nametag from work.

"your father and i", our mother sighs heavily, "gave you NAMES."

alison said...

My ex suggested Leah's name. I'm pretty sure it came from that 1980 Donny Iris song "Ah, Leah". But I tell her it was from the bible. Her middle name, Anne, is my sister's middle name.

Then when we were coming up with names for our second daughter, he suggested 'Rachel'. He had wanted 'Paige', which was the name of a host on one of those shows where designers go in and make over people's houses over the weekend. I countered that 'Paige' would be a fine middle name. I wanted 'Gemma' or 'Lauren', but Rachel grew on me, so she's 'Rachel Paige'. I think it came from the Jennifer Anniston character on 'Friends'. At first I was worried that it would be just too biblical to have sisters named Leah and Rachel, but that's what they ended up. I try to keep them away from boys named Jacob, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Bridget was a name we both liked and Bruce picked Dorothy (I don't know why) but it turns out that is his Aunt's name although she goes by Alvira.
Emily was again one we both liked although if I'd known how popular it was I would have picked something else. Emily is the Jennifer of 2000.
Frank James is both of my grandfathers but if he had been girl he would have been Erin Margaret Kathleen. Doesn't get more Irish than that.
Michael Thomas Trevor. We liked it and Trevor is his godfather.

So there you have it. Simple names easy to spell.That was my criteria.

Janet