Sunday, April 29, 2012

Still dumping photos...



This was my biggest cupcake order ever (the photo only shows a few of them). One hundred and fifty cupcakes plus a cake for a 40th birthday party. Half were chocolate, half were vanilla, half had blue frosting and half white. It was a huge job for a mum in a regular kitchen but I have to admit it was a lot of fun. I had thought of everything... I had the right ingredients, the display I wanted use and even brought extra frosting for mishaps. What never occurred to me until the day was how to transport them to the golf club where the party was to be held. What a shit-show that was! I was able to bake them all because, of course, I could use the same 6 tins over and over. But then I had 150 frosted cupcakes to deliver. Uh oh. I started with the 2 travel containers I had but that only took care of 72. Back to the baking tins. I could carry the rest in them, right? So that takes care of another 72. I put the last 6 on a dinner plate and got them all in the back of my car.

It wasn't a long ride and they all made it safely. I did manage to forget my pastry bag so had to rush home to get it but aside from that hiccough, everything went well. My family and I were invited to the festivities so I got to see the cupcakes vanish as soon as the table was rolled out. It was one of my proudest days.

I have to admit that when a friend asks for a cake (I've never done one for a stranger), I twist myself up in knots worrying, planning, researching, shopping and finally procrastinating that when it's finally out of my hands, I feel such a weight off my shoulders that I wonder why I do it in the first place. This is why I say no when people say I should do it for a living. How can it be so much fun and not any fun in the least?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

kxx

No comments: