Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What a long strange trip it's been

Okay, that title is a bit of a lie. I'm only trying to illustrate the fact that I haven't written a blog in a while. I've been doing stuff that is fun, and stuff that you'd think is quite boring. But that's the nature of life, isn't it?

The coolest thing I did was go to a Seder yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Seder is a special meal held on the first day of Passover. It was so great. I ate so. Much. Food.

I was really worried at first that I'd stick out like the only grain of pepper in the salt shaker and I did but in a good way. Everyone asked (and I'm paraphrasing, here) "what's the deal with the Catholic Black chick at our Seder?" And since I love talking about myself and my various "deals", I was in hog heaven (no pun intended... you know, Jews can't eat pork... get it? They don't work so well when you have to explain them).

I was worried that since everyone either spoke or understood Hebrew that I'd be left out but I was fine with it. In fact in a conversation circle, when they'd lapse out of English, a few minutes of me smiling and nodding at each speaker I'd get a flurry of unnecessary apologies. In fact when they did that I was:

1. Delighted they felt comfortable enough with me in the room to speak their mother tongue and
2. Having fun picking out the the 50 or so Hebrew words I do know like numbers 1 to 10, days of the week and greetings.

Anyway, what else happened while I was on my hiatus? Naturally, I did some shopping (bought the bestest and most gorgeousest purse you've anyone has ever seen ever) and a pretty summer dress that feels like it'll be in the closet for 8 more months. It's still freezing). Oh, and I and knitted. A lot. I learned how to make headbands and slippers so now between that and the homestyle cakes I'm still baking on the regular, I'm my own cottage industry.

So that's my life right now. You?




No comments: