Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm sorry, I can't help it

I'm about to gush about my job (again). It's been 3 years at this place, and I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. I love it so much. You know when they say when you find your dream job you never work another day in your life? Well I should have been collecting unemployment for the last 3 years. I love it.

It's my second day back after the summer break, and after the hugs and encouragement (I have a new position there), I started preparing my classroom. It's going to be a beautiful, enriching place where my class will learn and grow. There's a reason the school is called "Ganon". It means garden in Hebrew.

My kids won't only learn English and French, but Hebrew and American Sign Language. And they're only 3. They'll learn to cut in a straight line, how to take turns and how to put a straw in a juicebox without squeezing too hard. All valuable life skills. We'll learn all that in a fun way and they won't even notice how smart they're getting. But their parents and I will.

The only thing that makes me sad is that in 5 years they won't remember who I am. I remember every kid I've taught since 1990 and that's a lot of kids. In fact, I was stalking er... looking for some of my first ever students and some are actually married with kids. Crazy. One day they'll be my doctor or my funeral director and they won't even recall that I taught them their alephbet or how to say "toilet" in ASL. But that's okay. I'll know. And that makes me smile.

kxx


No comments: