Monday, March 17, 2014

Sneaky St. Paddy's

As a callow youth, I loved St. Patrick's day. I used to go out of my way to wear both green and orange and to put it mildly, did my share of imbibing.

Ever since I became a wife and mother, I haven't indulged in the celebrations in any to the same degree so the most you'll see me doing is wearing green socks or something.

And since I started working in a Jewish preschool 3 years ago, I've actually forgotten to even to dig out that green hosiery. For some reason St. Patrick's Day isn't very big in Israel. Go figure.

Today, I remembered. Unfortunately, it was at 5:45 this morning, and I'd already picked out my clothes for the day last night. My shades of brown outfit. I thought about turning on the bedroom light to look for a green shirt to wear instead but remembered that I had put one away just before bed last night, and it should be right at the top of the drawer. Score! It was right where I left it, and I just had to crawl on the floor like a thief into the dark bedroom and feel around for it. Easy peasy.

Now for my class. Some of my parents would have been irate if I started talking about St. Patrick and rightly so. But what was I to do? Get creative, that's what.

I made green playdough, We did an experiment at circle time where we learned what happens when you mix yellow and blue water together, and we did an art project with green paint and cars. Oh, and our incidental music of the day may or may not have included some Great Big Sea and Dropkick Murphys. Coincidence? Mebbeee...

So for those who celebrate, Slainte and for goodness sake, have a drink for me. I used to be one of you.

kxx


No comments: