Thursday, October 2, 2014

My first CD

The 30th anniversary of the compact disc was yesterday and it made me wonder what my first CD was. That was a head scratcher. I can quickly remember my first record. The first one ever was a 45 of "Good Times" by Chic. I won it in a draw at my grade 6 grad (oh god, I'm old). The first LP I ever bought with my own money was Glass Houses by Billy Joel. Yes, I'm aware.

I was buying tapes concurrently with LPs (for my Walkman, you know) so I can't remember my first one of those but I do remember buying Green Day's Dookie tape (hee... that sounds like a K-Tel product) when it first came out because I was working at a record store at the time and I could get my grubby little hands on all kinds of excellent music before anyone else.




Anyway, back to my first CD. I don't remember which one I bought but I remember which one I got. It was On The Track by Leon Redbone. It was a gift from my nephew Jeremy. I loved the fact that it had Michigan J. Frog as cover art, but what I didn't love was the fact that I didn't own CD player at the time. And didn't for almost a year after. I'm a classic late adopter especially after the betamax and the laserdisc player incidents of my youth. Boy, was my dad errr... vocal about those purchases. Back to old Leon. When I finally played that CD, I found it so weird and folky and indescribably cool. Listen...



And that's my musical history. I love everything from classical to country, from disco to Bollywood. What do you like to listen to now and what was your first CD?

kxx


No comments: