Saturday, January 31, 2015

Haiku review for Whiplash

I've been sick for the last couple of days so I haven't been near the computer. I'm finally feeling better and I wanted to post the haiku I promised for the movie Whiplash.

It's about a drummer at a music conservatory who is trying to get into the best jazz band in school. When he finally gets in, he has to deal with the conductor of the band who is... let's just call him... intense.

I cannot say loud or often enough that I freaking LOVED THIS MOVIE. When it was over I wanted to watch it again. I want to download all the music from the soundtrack. I want to have all of JK Simmons' babies.

Whiplash
JK Simmons is
Astonishing, scary, mean.
All this for jazz drums?

Seriously? Wanting to be a famous drummer? I only know a few drummers but few by name. The guy from Def Leppard with one arm, the guy from Rush with the huge drum kit and Roger Taylor from Duran Duran because, well Duran Duran. Oh, and Phil Collins.

Anyways, I couldn't help comparing the JK Simmons character to Gordon Ramsay. But my favourite reality show chef is the one who seems like the fictional character...a cartoon or caricature. Simmons' evil, manipulative, bitter, cruel, angry, band director seems far more real. How strange is that?

This movie has stuck with me for days. I loved it so, so much. I recently heard that this movie was one of the lowest grossing movies to ever get a Best Picture nod. This is a terrible injustice. Please go and see it if you can find it.

kxx





No comments: